Fort Dodge Kansas State Soldiers Home – Fort Dodge, Kansas
Built in 1859 of sod and adobe Fort Dodge was the last US Army fort located before the Civil War and in 1865 was the first fort opened after the Civil War. Fort Dodge was to guard travelers on the Santa Fe Trail to keep them safe from the Indians.
In 1882 the military abandoned the fort and the citizens of Dodge City purchased the old garrison and the state converted it to an Old Soldiers Home, accepting its first resident on January 1, 1890.
Today several buildings are open for tours, and visitors are welcome to walk or drive through the grounds.
Location: 714 Sheridan, Fort Dodge, Kansas 67843
Open: Year round