These two buildings are part of the former Maple Camp. The Terwilliger Home was built in 1861, alongside the Santa Fe Trail. It was the last house the Santa Fe freighters passed as they proceeded to travel west leaving Council Grove as late as 1863.
A 1930 Maple Camp Tourist Cabin has been renovated in the Art Deco style of its era, and is presently occupied by Blooms & Balance Swedish massage therapy.
Also on the property for eventual public display and use is a 1943 Maple Camp Cabin originally built during World War II to house personnel serving the Herington Army Air Field ("Delavan Air Base"). A 1947 Grocery Store building also is on the property.
Two buildings of significant historical value have been moved onto the property. The 1902 Field School, a one room country school was originally located 8 miles south of Council Grove. The 1858 Atkinson Log House, a two-story structure, is housed inside a barn. It originally was built on Clark’s Creek, in western Morris County. It and the Hays House in downtown Council Grove are the two oldest wooden structures presently known to exist in Morris County.
Location: 803 West Main, Council Grove, Kansas 66846